PRINCE2 Qualifications Explained
The PRINCE2 Foundation qualification will teach you the PRINCE2 principles, terminology and when qualified you will be able to act as an informed member of a project management team using the PRINCE2 methodology within a project environment supporting PRINCE2. PRINCE2 Foundation can be studied on its own or as a prerequisite for the PRINCE2 Practitioner course.
The PRINCE2 Practitioner qualification will teach you to apply PRINCE2 to the running and managing of a project within an environment supporting PRINCE2. Once qualified you will be able to apply and tune PRINCE2 to address the needs and problems of a specific project scenario. You will have a comprehensive knowledge of the relationships between the PRINCE2 principles, themes and processes and PRINCE2 products and will understand these elements. In order to sit the PRINCE2 Practitioner examination you must provide proof of having passed one of the following:
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- Project Management Professional (PMP)®
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®
- IPMA Level A (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate)
Only current certifications will qualify as a pre-requisite.
Individual IPMA chapters have local interpretations of these certificates, for example:
- In the United Kingdom the Association for Project Management (APM) is the IPMA chapter; visit www.apm.org.uk. The APM Level D certification is their APM (P) certificate
- In the USA the American Society for the Advancement of Project Management is the IPMA chapter; visit www.ipma-usa.org. The ASAPM Level D certificate is their Certified Project Management Associate.
To read the full AXELOS pre-requisite terms and conditions click here.
The PRINCE2 Agile™ qualification is designed for those already certified in PRINCE2 to a Foundation level. The course teaches the fundamentals and the purpose of combining PRINCE2 with agile methodology -- providing scalability and the ability to work with corporate management processes. Once qualified, you should be able to evaluate a project's focus areas, and understand the six aspects comprising a project. Ultimately, you will be capable of tailoring PRINCE2's principles, themes and processes to projects in an agile context.