What is PRINCE2? PRINCE2 Definition
PRINCE2 (an acronym for PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a de facto process-based method for effective project management.
Used extensively by the UK Government, PRINCE2 is also widely recognised and used in the private sector, both in the UK and internationally. The PRINCE2 method is in the public domain, and offers non-proprietorial best practice guidance on project management.
The key features of PRINCE2 are a:
- focus on business justification
- defined organisation structure for the project management team
- product-based planning approach
- emphasis on dividing the project into manageable and controllable stages
- flexibility that can be applied at a level appropriate to the project.
How PRINCE2 can benefit you or your organisation?
Using PRINCE2 provides you with greater control of resources, and the ability to manage business and project risk more effectively. This will benefit:
- individuals seeking leading project management skills and greater employment prospects
- project managers
- directors/executives (senior responsible owners) of projects, and
For individuals, PRINCE2 certification is an invaluable asset to your career as it increases employment prospects and helps you to do your job more effectively.
For organisations, PRINCE2's formal recognition of responsibilities within a project, together with its focus on what a project is to deliver (the why, when and for whom) provides your organisation's projects with:
- a common, consistent approach
- a controlled and organised start, middle and end
- regular reviews of progress against plan
- assurance that the project continues to have a business justification
- For further benefits, visit Why PRINCE2?
PRINCE2 History (click to show/hide text)
PRINCE2 Qualifications and Training
There are two PRINCE2 qualifications: PRINCE2 Foundation and PRINCE2 Practitioner
A great place to start, the PRINCE2 Foundation qualification covers the basic methodology and terminology of PRINCE2, and can be achieved with either:
The PRINCE2 Practitioner is the highest PRINCE2 qualification, suitable for those managing projects within a PRINCE2 environment, and can be achieved with the:
What should I do next?
If you're keen to explore the benefits of PRINCE2 for yourself and your organisation, visit Why PRINCE2?
And if you're planning to start your PRINCE2 training, either find out about our PRINCE2 Training Courses, discover your training options wherever you are in the world with our PRINCE2 Training Course Finder, or simply request a quote.
Corporate and group training discounts
At ILX, we offer attractive discounts and packages for group and corporate PRINCE2 training.
If you require PRINCE2 training for more than one person, call us NOW on +1 (212) 618 1261 to speak to an ILX training advisor about your requirements or request a quote.